Criteria and Eligibility: 2024 Pattis Family Foundation Global Cities Book Award
The Pattis Family Foundation Global Cities Book Award aims to improve our collective knowledge of actors, communities, and/or institutions that significantly shape global cities.
The winning book will be accessible to the general reader and useful to policymakers and academics. This award, and the activities surrounding it, will recognize and elevate important books contributing to the understanding of cities and the many issues urban communities face.
The award will be given in September 2024 and the winning book will receive a prize of $25,000.
Eligibility Criteria for 2024
The book must be:
- Copyrighted between January 2022 and December 2023.
- Be accessible to a general (i.e. nonacademic, non-specialist) audience.
- An original work of nonfiction (no reprints, textbooks, edited compilations, memoirs, or anthologies).
- Available to the public in hardcover or bound paperback form.
- Published by a reputable academic or trade press, no self-published works or e-book-only titles.
- Published in English.
- Address global actors, forces, and trends that shape neighborhoods, cities, or metropolitan areas, and that involve urban policy, planning, and/or governance.
- Inform, influence, and resonate with diverse city stakeholders, including city leaders and residents.
- Support and further the mission of the Center on Global Cities and The Chicago Council of Global Affairs.
- The book enhances our understanding of significant policy and policy-adjacent issues affecting urban areas.
- The book explores ideas that have the potential to shape contemporary policymaking.
Focus on 'Global City'
- The book improves our collective knowledge of actors, communities, and/or institutions that significantly shape global cities.
- The book addresses policy or policy-adjacent issues that center on interactions among local and global actors, forces, and trends that shape neighborhoods, cities, or metropolitan regions.
- If about a specific city, the book must have lessons that can translate to a global context.
Submissions will be accepted from January 1, 2023 to December 31, 2023. Please email the book as an attached PDF to GCbookaward@thechicagocouncil.org. In the email, provide:
- Full title
- Author's name and bio
- Publisher contact information
- Copyright date
- Publication date (month and year)
- Page count
- Note if book is illustrated
- A publicly shareable description of the book
- A link to purchase the book
You will receive an email confirming your submission has been received. You will be contacted in Spring 2024 if your submission is considered for the award