Emerging Leaders Program
Think Global, Lead Local: Build a Better Chicago
Through the Emerging Leaders Program, you will:
- Develop your knowledge of global affairs
- Join a committed, compassionate community of diverse peer leaders
- Learn how to influence policy discussions and debates through research and persuasive writing
We do this through:
- Bimonthly collaborative learning sessions from October through June
- A cohort trip to Washington, DC
- Special events and off-the-record meetings with world leaders, policymakers, and other experts
- Exclusive Emerging Leader gatherings
Becoming a Global Leader
Global leaders are globally attuned, civically minded, and locally engaged.
Emerging Leaders class of 2020 speaking with former EL and Member of Congress Sean Casten.
The Emerging Leaders class of 2022 during a meeting in Washington, DC.
By participating in the Council’s Emerging Leaders Program, you can expect to:
- Develop a thorough, multifaceted understanding of global affairs and US foreign policy
- Consider how global challenges impact your field and how your field impacts the world
- Formulate and articulate clear, informed opinions on global issues
- Hone your public speaking skills
- Learn how to write op-eds and policy briefs
- Deftly handle television interviews and other media engagements
- Become part of a broad network of global leaders from a wide range of industries
- Connect with global leaders and experts, including ambassadors, US representatives and senators, government officials, policymakers, and journalists
Of our 2021 and 2022 classes of Emerging Leaders, 51% have changed jobs or been promoted within two years of completing the program.
Strengthen Your Leadership Skills
The Emerging Leaders Program centers community connection and experiential learning. We do this through:
We meet twice monthly, February through November (only once a month in July and in August).
- Presentations by subject matter experts
- Skill-building workshops
- Group exercises
- Conversations with consuls general and global practitioners
Our annual cohort trip to Washington, DC offers a behind-the-scenes look at US foreign affairs and policymaking.
We meet with key figures in US government and global affairs to hear about their work and, during intimate cohort outings, reflect on lessons learned.
We support our Emerging Leaders in making the program their own!
Past Emerging Leaders have:
- Toured BP’s Chicago headquarters
- Presented flash talks to Council staff and board members
As members of our Presidents Club, Emerging Leaders are central members of our community.
ELs join our in-person and virtual events, attend briefings with Council fellows, and engage in private roundtables with world leaders and foreign policy experts.
The Emerging Leaders enjoy an active community of exciting peers.
ELs attend intimate cocktail receptions, board-hosted dinners, and other social events.
Julien Rosan, Class of 2022, presents the value of developing a "Trade Corps," public-private partnerships that support US-company commercial objectives abroad.
EL Class of 2024 Program Dates
- EL Class of 2024 Orientation and Welcome Reception: December 1, 2023
- Retreat: January 12-13, 2024
- First Friday of each month, beginning February 2, 2024
- 2024: February 2, March 1, April 5, May 3, June 7, September 6, October 4, November 1
- Third Wednesday of each month, beginning February 14, 2024
- 2024: February 14, March 20, April 17, May 15, June 19, September 18, October 16, November 20
- Summer months: July 10 and August 14, 2024
- Washington, DC Trip Briefing: date TBD – late April 2024
- Washington, DC Trip: date TBD – early May 2024