1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why Not Morphine?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Dec 27, 2003.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

There are new questions coming up about death by lethal injection. There are those that say it is not humane. Why don't we just use morphine. A large enough amount and the body immediately loses consciousness. If a mistake takes place no pain is felt and another injection can be given. Additionally the body can then be used for donated organs, I believe, which it cannot when electrocuted, gassed, or with current chemicals in lethal injection. I am a believer in execution for some crimes and I do not propose this for the well being of the executed but to stop law suits about cruelty.

2. Neo

Neo Banned

Your point is logical and reasonable. But many who oppose the death penalty as inhumane or cruel and unusual punishment don't care about ANYTHING other than getting the death penalty abolished. They do not care about your point or argument. They do not care about any facts unless they support their point of view. And it is that specific lunatic segment within the anti-death penalty crowd that powers the political machine. (Not all anti-death penalty proponents are loonies--hey just look at me! Uh, on second thought.....)

3. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I think morphine is too expensive to waste on condemned murderers, rapists, and child molestors. Drain-O is cheaper.

4. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

What happens if it fails, the inmate is now hooked on morphine, and sues the state for getting him addicted?

5. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

You have a point. Afterall, the mix that Texas currently uses is 100% effective.

6. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

Just get rid of the death penalty. It is cheaper to sentence somebody to life in prison without parole anyhow.

7. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Ah...really? The funds required to support a con on an annual basis likely exceed what a lot of hardworking folks here make in a year. I can hardly imagine sending them to the great beyond would be more than a year's worth of dough.

SM

8. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

It might actually cost far more to execute a person than to keep them in prison for life.

According to the Texas Department of Justice, it costs around $49 per day to house an average prison inmate. Assuming an inmate is kept in prison for 50 years, that would be about $900,000.

But a 1992 Dallas Morning News study found that the cost to Texas taxpayers of a capital (death penalty) trial and all subsequent appeals is an average of $2.3 million per case.

9. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Death by Lethal injection is a waste of time and expensive drugs.
    If your really serious about capital punishment as a deterrent for criminals the the only tried and true method which does not harm the organs for transplant is the one the military uses and the one that is almost idiot proof. A bullet to the brain.
    It may be a mess.....but it works, it's quick, and it's cheap.
    I defy anyone to prove that it's cruel. Cruel defined by Webster is:

1 : disposed to inflict pain or suffering : devoid of humane feelings
    2 a : causing or conducive to injury, grief, or pain <a cruel joke> b : unrelieved by leniency

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I think you comparison is a non-sequitar Frank. You're going to try the person anyways, and nearly all convicts sentenced to LWOP will also appeal.

11. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I think those calculations take into effect just the basic care and feeding of a prisoner, without taking into account the various frills--cable TV, religious services, clean sheets, etc., etc. I also think it's unlikely that they take into account the salaries, benefits, construction and maintenance costs, and various other beans that would have to be counted.

SM

12. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Yeah, I've always been confused by the numbers. Well, once we have DNA evidence firmly in place and integrated into the system, that should cut waaaay back on a lot of the appeals and such. Shouldn't it? :)

13. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Persons sentenced to death are entitled by law to automatic appeals, and those costs are required by law to be paid by the state. The convict can pay an expensive lawyer if he can afford to which most can't.

LWOP convicts do not have the same automatic legal protections. LWOP convicts (i suspect most) do not appeal because they must pay the costs for filing lawsuits, attorneys and court-costs themselves, unless family or some group like ACLU comes to their rescue.