1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good article on World of Warcraft

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Feb 10, 2005.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You know when <a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/10/technology/circuits/10warr.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5088&en=ba733bc96ee82182&ex=1265691600&partner=rssnyt">NYT starts writing about a game</a>, there's something TO that game. :)

[bl]Computer Gaming World, the game magazine, called World of Warcraft "a game world so insidiously addictive, so rich in imagination, so fun and beautiful and funny and charming that we have no desire to ever log out and resume our real lives."[/bl]

I am totally hooked as is Mrs. ethics. We can't get enough of this awesome game.

For those that played UO, EQ, AO, all those other massive online RPG's, I will sum up WoW this way, it never feels like you need to level. Very rarely do you even look at your experience bar because the way the game's quests are streamlined in to the story.

[bl]Since massively-multiplayer games emerged into prominence with Ultima Online and EverQuest in the late 1990's, the genre has been considered the preserve of only the most serious players: young men with dozens of hours a week to spare grinding through repetitive virtual chores.

World of Warcraft has overshadowed EverQuest II, also released last fall, largely because it remains accessible for more casual players (say, by allowing them to accomplish meaningful quests in less than an hour) while also challenging the hard core (say, by including foes that require dozens of players to defeat.)

And unlike console games, which are basically finished once they are shipped, PC games played online, like World of Warcraft, can be enhanced and enlarged. In fact, users demand it.[/bl]

Best game I've ever played and that says a lot.

2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

I would love to play it. Problem is, I don't have any way at this time to pay the monthly subscription.

I may just wait for Guild Wars instead.

3. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

No "levelling treadmill?"

That's definitely a good thing. I played Asheron's Call for almost 4 years (I know, sad), and the treadmill is what killed it.

I highly doubt I'll even try WoW, for the simple reason that I don't want to get addicted to another MMORPG.

That being said, it does look like a really good game.

4. ethics

How about 6 month subscription for 200 GA points?

You would have to get the game, I'll pick up the Sub. You'd have to start out as a newbie but I will get you in to our guild and you will have fun just playing and not worrying about the damn leveling and such. ;)

5. MNeedham73

That's evil, Leon. Trying to suck Frodo into the addicting world of MMORPG's like that ;)

6. ethics

I can't say it hooks you the same way, needham. There's no "must play to level so I can keep up with the budies". It's more casual, no rushing because playing at level 1 is as fun as playing at 41 (which I am now). It's amazing in sheer beauty of the game, design, and play.

7. ethics

I know. I hope the Feds don't monitor this forum. :p

8. MNeedham73

Again, that's a very good thing :)

9. Frodo Lives

Sounds good to me. I have enough for 6 months. After that I am either bored with it or love it enough to find a way to pay for it myself. I will pick up the game sometime soon, maybe this weekend. We are getting a big ol' storm here so I won't be going to far.

10. ethics

Let me know when you get it...

11. Frodo Lives

I will probably try to get it tomorrow. Can't be sure, but I will try.

12. Stonehawk

Stonehawk AKA Jerry

I am a lvl 14 Dwarf Hunter on the Bronzebeard realm.....let me know what realm you play on and I would be happy to join up on your realm....

It means I have to start over, but thats half the fun :)

Stay safe all....

13. ethics

My wife and I chose an RP server (role playing) because people who RP tend to be older, more mature, and you won't hear any l33t speak in the general chat.

It's a PST server but I don't mind. :)