1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canon Printer Cartridges

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Where is a good place to buy them? If I get them from Canon, they put the cartridges in a box, then put the box in a larger box and load it with stuff I never asked for that is so-called freebie, but isn't really. I'd have to spend all day printing photos for two years to use up all the stuff they dump on me. I'm afraid of buying some of the rebuilt cartridges lest I damage the printer.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Amazon?

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

4. eakes

eakes Registered User

Try Clickink.com. They have both 'original' and refill cartridges. I have used their refills in my epson without a problem.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thank you all for your input. After exploring the options, I chose Clinkink.com.

6. Greg

Greg Full Member

Presuming you have a smart phone, download the ATTScanner app, which is a barcode reader that hooks up with an Internet best deals site. You have the choice of local (brick and mortar) suppliers, Internent/online, or you can read product reviews.

I recently needed a tri-color cartridge for my Canon, decided to go to Fry's Electronics and have it refilled. It was a lot less than a new cartridge, but I discovered there are two sizes of cartridges, evidently a shrimpy cartridge they ship with new printers (a kind of "learners" or "cheap out") cartridge, and a normal sized "XL" cartridge that stores normally stock. If you go online you'll maybe find the ordinary non-XL cartridges for sale, but in every case I've found you always get a better deal for the XL in terms of ml of ink per $.

Another interesting use for a smart phone, while my color cartridge was being refilled at Fry's I went back to the cartridge isle and took a snapshot of the display hook with the price and the cartridges hanging below it (using my iPhone). Later that day I visited both Office Depot and Office Max, and asked them about their price match policy (both had higher prices than Fry's for this cartridge), and after they explained their price guarantee I showed each my pic of the Fry's display, and both told me yep, that was good enough for them to sell me the cartridge for the Fry's price.

So my advice is to (1) if you have a smart phone (iPhone or Android) get the app, shop at stores that have price matching policies, or (2) find the best prices online and print out a few websites and take that to your local office store and ask for a price match, and (3) the refill thing really sucks (at least with Canon) because evidently the cartridge has a memory that only Canon can load, and even though my cartridge is full the printer still complains it is empty. That's what you get when you get cheapo refills: the ink is probably just as good, but your Canon printer is going to keep whining "feed me feed me" even though your cartridge is full.

Oddly, as I was typing this reply our local ABC news ran a story about Best Buy deciding they would match prices with any of 19 major Internet competitors or any local stores, either print the competitor's price at home and bring it in, or do it right in the store using a smart phone and an app like I just described.

So I advise either shop online and find the best price and print it out and take it to your local office supply store and ask for a price match, or download the app (ATTScanner) and use it in the store. Apparently Apple won't allow app authors to restrict who can get their app because even though this is an ATT app and I'm a Verizon customer, the app just works fine for me.

I've been running a spreadsheet of how much the app has saved me, and since Jan. 1st I've saved over $150. My 32 GB iPhone 5 cost me $300 (and a two year contract) so I've already paid off half of the phone price with just this one app. It is easy to see that after my two contract has run I will not have only paid off the iPhone but probably a significant part of my data plan costs.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for the feedback, Greg. I'll see how my Canon behaves with the new ink. Yes, I have an iPhone 5 (texting only).

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Get ATTScanner. I haven't added my most recent savings to my spreadsheet yet. It is already over $150!

(I don't know how you could have an iPhone 5 and have texting only unless you didn't add a data plan. However I can understand why anybody would not buy a data plan, mine -- covers my iPhone and iPad -- costs $110/month. Mere months ago I would have thought anybody who paid that much for a phone was crazy.)

Um..., now I are crazy! :)

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

There is a special plan available only for those who cannot use a regular voice phone. It's half the normal monthly fee, but you have to produce documents to prove you are actually unable to use the regular version. I had to appear in person at a Verizon Wireless store with the docs.