1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4-6 day advance pause just ordered

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by cdw, Mar 28, 2003.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

It was just announced that commanders of the US forces have announced a 4-6 day pause in the advance of the forward progress of the ground troops towards Baghad.
    The embedded reporter is saying he can't confirm that, he's saying that yes, there is a pause, but he can't confirm the time frame. We're bombing Baghdad pretty heavily, but we aren't going to advance the ground troops.

Hey, you military guys.. what's happening?

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

As a non-military guy, my guess would be either weather (sandstorms and what not) or they want more time to soften up Baghdad...

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I expect part of it's the hit and run attacks on the supply line. They may be wanting to clean up the rear along with Basra. Plus the 4th ID is deploying.

They will I'm sure want to get their equipment off the RORO's and get them staged. I expect the 4th ID will be fully in place by mid April.

4. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

I think that they are just regrouping - hey, they've moved pretty fast in a week. And it wouldn't hurt to wait for reinforcements, even as they continue to remove Saddam's military bit by bit.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Resupply is what I am hearing on CNN.

6. Neo

Neo Banned

Hey they have been fighting basically non-stop and are at the front door to Baghdad. Time for some rest, planning, resupplying and so on.

Baghdad will still be there in 4 to 6 days. It isn't going anywhere.

As I said one week ago, this war is event driven, not time driven!

7. cdw

It's being suggested on the evil fox channel, lol, that supplies is not the problem. They are saying something about the missile that hit Kuwait and taking time to hit more launchers first?

Edit: shit, I said I wasn't going to listen to the crystal balls, and here I am...

8. Coot

I think Fox is mistaken on this one, the guys at the front have been down to one meal a day because of the enemy hits on and the inefficiency of the strung out supply line out of Kuwait.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The missile attack on Kuwait was too recent to have been the reason for this break. Even if they Army acted that fast they could not have gotten the announcement together that fast.

10. cdw

They're talking now about the fast pace and fetigue (sp?), and supplies. The bombing of Baghdad is going pretty full force still though. I don't know how these guys do it. I really don't.
    There's a reporter on now that is again saying that yes, there will be a pause, but he won't confirm 4=6 days... he's sort of giving the impression it won't be that long. He's also hinting that other things are going on...that no one's sitting around, that things are going on. Hmmm.

11. Neo

Neo Banned

Just 30 minutes ago I saw the anchor on Fox say what you just said and then he switched live to the front where the Fox reporter said, live, essentially....what the hell are you talking about? We are getting two MREs a day and that has always been what we have been getting SINCE we left Kuwait, and its plenty! Two is enough to satisfy everyone. There also plenty of fuel.

He added that they had been advised that the supplies of meals were running low though.

I hope that everyone, (not referring to you coot), don't make a big deal out of this. It is probably a good thing. And the reasons are not complex or devious.

Damn, its just time off to regroup, reevaluate, resupply and stop and think things over. None of the targets, adversaries, or objectives are changing or leaving.

12. Coot

Actually one is more than enough if they haven't found a way to make them taste better ;)

13. cdw

I haven't really been watching too much this week what is going on... I hear radio reports and such, but I've been trying to stay away. I've been listening the last hour to TV and they really sound pretty friggin' organized. God Bless 'em. Again, I am really in awe and am grateful.

14. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I have always liked the MREs. The Chicken Chow Mein was some of the best I have ever eaten. I mean that. Everything except the omelet with ham was damn good with the whole little bottle of Tabasco on it.

The first time I ate an MRE in the field, in Korea, it was dark and I wasn't sure what I had. There was a pound cake in it and I made some frosting with the peanut butter and Cocoa. In the pound cake package was a little packet of what I thought was sprinkles for the pound cake frosting I made. I opened it and poured it on. I then took a bite, and quickly realized what I had poured on was not sprinkles but the packet of moisture collecting crystals. With a mouth full of the crystals and the extra dry pound cake and the peanut butter, I couldn't open my mouth. I seriously thought I was gonna suffocate and die from a MRE pound cake. I had to use the back of my MRE spoon to pry open my mouth and pour water in. A 2 quart canteen later and I could finally open my mouth to breath. It was a long time before I actually told anyone about it. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

15. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

This gives us time to resupply our troops, and at the same time could cause a logistic nightmare for Saddam's troops. This also gives us more time to use aircraft, and missiles to soften Saddam's troops, and supply lines even more. This makes allot of sense.

16. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

It's only some units, those at the leading edge like the 7th Cav, that are being paused. And we do need to reconstitute our supply lines as well. Not to mention rolling out the 4ID, like Coot said.

Also, the 101st can air assault about 200km without breaking a sweat, weather permitting...if they get too far out, resupply will have to occur through aviation, which is doctrinally correct, but not while the zone is so hot. They should be paused and held in place for a time.

SM

17. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

MREs are half way decent. Much better than C-Rats.

18. Neo

Neo Banned

You are being too kind in your evaluation of C rations!!!! LOL--you post implies C Rations had some measure of decency to them taste wise.

19. Coot

LOL, yep. BTW, I was thinking of LRP Rats and not MRE's. Never had an MRE. LRP Rats were a lot lighter to hump and were marginally more palatable than C-Rats.

20. halldor

halldor Registered User

From Maj.-Gen. Victor Renuart's press briefing this pm:

"NO PAUSE"

Overall, he said, Central Command was getting the results it wanted on the battlefield, with long-range patrols and artillery attacks to dent the enemy lines of communication. "We're having our effect on a much broader scale than these small attacks getting some publicity are having on our forces," he said.

Earlier, U.S. officers in the field said commanders had ordered a pause of four to six days in their push toward Baghdad because of supply shortages and stiff Iraqi resistance.

They said the "operational pause," ordered on Friday, meant advances would be put on hold while the military tried to sort out logistics problems caused by long supply lines from Kuwait.

"There is no pause on the battlefield. Just because you see a particular formation pause on the battlefield it does not mean there is a pause," Renuart said.

He joked that he had asked U.S. Central Command chief General Tommy Franks for a few days off and been turned down.