Intern, Lester Crown Center: Global Security
This internship is in-person*
Today’s post-Cold War era is marked by a return to great power competition and a rise of a multi-polar world. This seismic shift away from the U.S. lead unipolar world of the last 25 years has exposed foundational cracks in the international rules-based order championed by the West. How will America’s triad—the elected government, the military, and the general populace—respond to the rapidly changing global security environment and how will America’s response be received by her allies, partners, and enemies?
The Intern, Studies: Global Security will train under the supervision of the Navy Federal Executive Fellow exploring the interconnectedness between grand strategies and diplomatic, economic, informational, legal, financial, and military levers of national power. The intern will also play an active role in developing and implementing events designed to overcome the deepening civilian-military divide within the U.S., enabling better alignment between the will of the U.S. citizenry and the will of its all-volunteer military.
This intern performs a variety of tasks including:
- Supporting ongoing research efforts related to national defense, grand strategy, and global security
- Reviewing and synthesizing academic literature, policy reports, and institutional publications
- Preparing background briefings on specific research questions or thematic topics
- Fact-checking data, citations, and sources for Council publications
- Developing and preparing materials for studies-related meetings and mailings
- Assisting with planning and implementation of studies-related events to include assisting with conference calls and developing itineraries
- Performing administrative duties
- Administrative, research, and other tasks as assigned
- Senior undergraduate student or graduate student
- Demonstrated interest in current topics related to global defense, grand strategy, and/or global security
- Strong research, editing, and writing skills
- Ability to quickly analyze and synthesize complex information
- Outstanding organizational skills with emphasis on multi-tasking with quick turnaround times
- Excellent written and interpersonal skills
- Consistent, conscientious attention to detail
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
*We require anyone entering our office to be fully vaccinated. You are considered "fully vaccinated" two weeks after completing the second dose of a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine (e.g., Pfizer or Moderna) or two weeks after receiving a single dose of a one-dose vaccine (e.g., Johnson & Johnson/Janssen).